10.30.2009

1,000 Words







They say a picture is worth a thousand words...but what if you take a black and white picture? Wouldn't it take the words to give you the full effect of the photo? I've been doing a lot of reading lately, spending a lot of time looking at photos done by the masters of photography. Take someone like Ansel Adams, for example. There was no digital. There was, at first, no color photography. He shot solely in black and white. Look at some of the other famous photos and photographers. Do you notice that they mostly shoot in black and white? I know that for many, it was due to the fact that it was their only medium. But does it add impact? I mean really, what's so great about black and white photography?

As an experiment, I decided to take a walk today and shoot solely in black and white. But maybe everything wasn't meant to be shot in black and white. I don't know the answer and I know that my photos certainly don't carry much impact, but the funny thing is, even when I look at the photos in black and white, my mind still sees the colors. I know the reds, the yellows, the blues, the greens. So maybe the color doesn't matter. Maybe that's what we get from black and white photography. It's the photographers way of handing us a page from the coloring book. We just don't have to stay in the lines.

No comments: